BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MySpace 1.0 Layouts »

Monday, February 7, 2011

So technically I post on Saturdays, but...

...I thought I would take a minute of this very special day (see below) to tell you all two important things:

1. Where am I and WHY DID I MISS THE RUN-THROUGH?! Sorry. I've been auditioning for acting schools and going to a poetry conference. I will be back on Wednesday.

2. But more importantly--whose birthday is it today? Mine? No. Gabby's? No. Rebecca's? No (it's two weeks from yesterday, so get her something nice). No, it happens to be the birthday of our very own

CHARLES DICKENS!!

Charlie is 199 years old today. (He was born in 1812). I'm not going to write out his full biography here (you can find that here). Instead, here are 9 lesser-known facts about Dickens (I would have done 199, but that's just way to many):

1. Dickens rearranged the furniture of his house several times every week. If the furniture was not in the exact correct position, he could not write.

2. He was famously obsessed with neatness, too--he used to inspect his childrens' bedrooms, and send them notes if he thought they weren't up to his standards. And he combed his hair dozens of times each day.

3. He suffered from epilepsy.

4. He liked nicknames--his pen-name was Boz, and he called one of his children Skittles.

5. He was either the inventor of or one of the earliest writers to use the word 'boredom'. Other words coined or inspired by Dickens include 'scrooge' (from the Christmas Carol), 'Dickensian' (from his own name), and 'gunpowderous'. And yes, I will give you an extra-large brownie if you use 'gunpowderous' in a conversation with me.

6. His middle name is John Huffam.

7. All of Dickens' novels have remained in print continuously since they were first printed.

8. Dickens almost became an actor. The day he was scheduled to audition for the first time, however, he fell ill, and started writing his first stories soon afterward.

9. There is a theme park in Britain called Dickens World, with replicas of Victorian stores and places from the novels. (This is not a very interesting fact, but it is hilarious).

5 comments:

Boots said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CHARLES DICKENS!

And yes, that last fact is hilarious!

The Young Person said...

Happy birthday Dickens!!!
And I think I knew he had epilepsy. Don't ask me how I know, I just know. Lenin does as well...

Anywho... I think I will take you up on that brownie-gunpowderous promise. See you in rehearsal!

David Simmons said...

R.R. here - I'll take a Alfred David it was Hadley Breadstone who attacked me first ... the sweat a' my brow got in my eyes and I never saw it comin'!

IzzieBella W. H. said...

theme park? that IS hilarious. I wish we lived in Britain because then we could have a FIELD TRIP! haha

(a blogger who decided to make a new account for no real reason) said...

Dickens world?
Dear god.
I must go there.