BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MySpace 1.0 Layouts »

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Top 10 things to do while waiting for the fulll OMF

I know it's only been a few days since the workshop ended. Sure, maybe my attention span is short. But I'm bored. And I want to start the full OMF.

But this post also goes to those of you who won't be in the full play. And after the intro, there's going to be another whole week and a half while we wait for our casting. So for the impatient among us, or those who won't be with us for the full play, 10 things to do while waiting for all your free time to mysteriously disappear:

1. Read the book.

2. Re-read the book. It's surprising all the things you notice the second time around, especially when you've played some of the characters. Among other things--Bradley Headstone has a scene with John Harmon?

3. Watch a film version. Or two. I know we're critical of the versions, and you shouldn't let them influence your interpretation too much, but as Richard often says, there is no performance without at least some good things about it. (Alternatively, if you're a monomaniac, you can join me in my quest to find the lost film version of OMF--a silent short called "Eugene Wrayburn" with only the Eugene/Lizzie plot made by Thomas Edison's film company in 1911. I haven't been able to find these anywhere yet, but I'm going to keep trying!)

4. And what was four? Why, making pudding, he was four!

5. If you've done 1-3 already, read something else by Dickens. My personal favorites are Bleak House and David Copperfield, although I love Nicholas Nickleby as well. Or get adventurous and read some other Victorian novel--I'm currently in the middle of Vanity Fair, but I'd also recommend Middlemarch, Wuthering Heights, Barchester Towers...those were pretty good years for the novel.

6. Sit in the corner of your room at night and turn your lights on and off very quickly, to mimic a strobe light. Or walk down the bike path in character, muttering your lines under your breath. Yes, I have tried both of these.

7. Feel nostalgic about rehearsals by watching this video, filmed by Nick. (Back when we were still saying Georgiana incorrectly. Also, watch Alex come up with the Georgiana/Fledgeby not- wanting-to-sit-next-to-each-other idea--it's so cool to see everyone's thoughts happen in real time!) Or, if you're really desperate, watch this section 14 OMF workshop blooper video. Yep.

8. Volunteer to help out with the incredibly FUN process of counting lines and creating stage change lists for acts 3 and 4! That's what your directors are doing! Fun, fun, anyone want to join in the fun? Why are you all running away?

9. Read the 19th-century reviews of OMF. Two of the most interesting are that of G. K. Chesterton (he praised it) and Henry James (he Wray-burned it pretty badly).

10. I can't think of a ten. Write blog posts about OMF?

Anyway...I can't wait until the intro!

3 comments:

Boots said...

I disrespectfully disagree with Mr. Henry James.
I also think that the section 14 bloopers is the coolest thing ever.

(a blogger who decided to make a new account for no real reason) said...

10. Watch this wideo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbloV2LfDHw
And then go get yourself some weggtables >.<

(a blogger who decided to make a new account for no real reason) said...

it's also quite nice to know that I'm not the only person who's done both on #6